196 was built in 1935 at the Boavista Works of Companhia Carris de Ferro do Porto (The Oporto Tramways Company). Following withdrawal, it went to Beamish in 1989.
196 was converted to a totally enclosed tram for use in the winter. It entered service at the museum in 1992.
For the 2010 season, 196 was loaned to Heaton Park Tramway whilst Leeds 6 was on loan to Beamish.